One thing I keep on wanting to get around to looking at is what publicly available data is available on the trains in the UK and the answer to a few questions?
- What proportions of the trains in the UK are run by foreign governments?
- At a rough guess it is in the region of 20% based on not very much
- How would this be measured? Passenger miles?
- Why can the French, Dutch and German governments run UK rail franchises but not the UK government? It makes no sense!
- What subsidies are given to the different franchises?
- Are the original tenders released publicly?
- Do the train companies live up to these documents?