I thought I’d take a look at the RSS (Royal Statistical Society ) “Statistical Analytics Challenge” after being sent it at work today. It involves analysing eye movement on 60 pictures.
Whilst I’m not going to enter the competition I am going to have a go and see how far I get. My plan goes something like this:
- Read the image into R
- Split it into a grid
- Initially a large grid and then progressively smaller ones
- Calculate some properties of each of the grid cells
- Check how each of these properties correlate with where the eye movement points are
- Check the properties of the surrounding grid cells relative the current cell
- See how these new properties interact with the eye movements.
- Do each of the above for a number of pictures to come up with a model and then test this on one of the other pictures.